<connectionStrings> section needed

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 11, 2006 at 8:11 PM
KEWL app!! Upon opening my web.config that I use in wwwroot, it did not recognize the <connectionStrings> section for my database connections. It seems to ignore that whole section. It may not be able to make tree view items for everything, but that's actually the section I have to change the most as an admin. I think that may be a new key for 2.0? Awesome work though, I must say. I hate editing config files, and the IIS manager editor is ugly.

Coordinator
Jul 11, 2006 at 10:11 PM
I read in one of your issues that you are an .net admin... Having one in the community sure beats hypotetical discussion between developers about what features admins might need :)

Slightly more on topic now:
The current download only works with a subset of settings in the web.config file, the part within the <system.web> element. Unfortunately this does not include <connectionStrings>...

however, Enterprise Library 2.0 (link below) comes with the ability to manage <connectionStrings>. You could give the following a try:

1. download enterprise library
2. copy the following files from Enterprise Libraries \bin\ directory to CoMan's installation directory:
- <blabla>.Data.Configuration.Design.dll
- <blabla>.Data.dll
3. open the configuration manager again, manage the connectionstrings under "Data Access Application Block"

Hope that helps

Download Enterprise Library: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=0325B97A-9534-4349-8038-D56B38EC394C&displaylang=en