can't create new appSettings section in VS with Avanade plug-in

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 12, 2006 at 9:03 PM
To start - great job so far Olaf. Your extensions will be very helpful for our (non-developer) admin staff when configuring our in-house .NET apps, especially the environment overrides. They complain loudly if there isn't a GUI for everything single setting...

I may have found a small glitch, though. When trying to create a new appSettings section in a new app.config file via the Avanade plug-in for VS, I was unable to add new appSetting entries. The command links (Add new Item, etc) in the property grid did not appear. The app.config was empty, and I was able to add and save other sections sucessfully. I WAS able to start from a blank app.config when using the ELconfig tool to do the same thing. Once an initial appSetting was created and saved, I could then go back and add more using the Avanade plug-in in VS. Also note that I did not test this using a web.config file.

I know there are still a few tweaks that need to be made to the extensions for the Avanade plugin. I did not see anything similar on the published list.

Again, thanks for your efforts,

Eric Hall

Coordinator
Jul 13, 2006 at 12:09 AM
Hi Eric,

did you try the following:
(from the installation guide)

"In Visual studio 2005 make sure commands are enabled in the property grid. This is done by rightclicking the PropertyGrid and checking the “Commands” option. "

I know this is a pain and I am still not sure on what to do with VS integration (keep using the Avanade-solution or write my own)

Hope this helps
Jul 13, 2006 at 1:04 PM
Olaf -

Yes, I did make sure that commands were turned on.

Eric
Jul 13, 2006 at 1:27 PM
Olaf -

On VS integration - It's great that you made the effort to use an existing plug-in, but I realize it makes it that much more difficult to get things working "just right". In the spirit of open source, I'm hoping Colin will release his source. Strong naming our EL assemblies stopped me cold with his plug-in.

This is one vote for keeping your tools working together.

Eric